Contributing to MPF
Want to add a feature? A missing event somewhere? Wrote a new device which might be useful for other users? Fixed a bug? Added some small missing piece?
We'd love to take your contribution upstream!
Found a bug which you can reproduce? Fill an issue:
- MPF Issues on GitHub. Use this for game and platform related bugs
- MPF-MC Issues on GitHub. Use this for media controller bugs such as problems with slides, widgets or audio.
If you want to discuss a feature or bug (or if you are unsure), use the discussion forum on GitHub (versus the Google group which is more for end users).
MPF file and module structure (from PinDevCon 2023)
If you're interesting in contributing to MPF, you might find this video interesting. It's a "deep dive" into the MPF file and module structure from PinDevCon 2023.
Install MPF in development mode
To make changes to MPF you need to install it in developer/editable mode:
- Fork the mpf repo on GitHub. Do this by clicking on the Fork button in the top right corner.
- Clone your fork of the mpf repo to your local machine. Determine the
folder where you want this to reside. Consider using a different
folder than where your personal MPF code resides. Then run the
git clone https://github.com/YOUR_GITHUB_HANDLE/mpf/)
- Install the MPF dependencies if you haven't installed mpf before.
- Navigate to your cloned repository and run:
pip3 install -e .to install MPF in editable mode.
Install MPF-MC in development mode
If you want to make changes to MPF-MC (Media Controller) you will need to install it in developer/editable mode:
- Fork the mpf-mc repo on GitHub. Do this by clicking on the Fork button in the top right corner.
- Clone your fork of the mpf-mc repo to your local machine
git clone https://github.com/YOUR_GITHUB_HANDLE/mpf-mc/).
- Install the MPF-MC dependencies if you haven't installed mpf-mc before. On linux you can run our mpf mc dependency installer. On other platforms check the installation instructions instructions.
- Navigate to your cloned repository and run:
pip3 install -e .to install MPF-MC in editable mode
To work on both the MPF and the MPF-MC complete both sets of instructions. Make sure you don't install the
After cloning and installing the dependencies for the desired project follow these steps.
Switch your repository to the branch corresponding to the version you want to work with. This should be
devin most cases or the current release for smaller bug fixed. Do what works best for you. We can help to forward or backport your changes.
From your MPF folder that is connected with git, create a local branch to work on (
git checkout -b your_feature_name).
Make your changes.
Add your name to the
If possible add an unit test. We can help with that and a first Pull Request without a test is definitely fine.
python3 -m unittest discover -s mpf.testsand check that all tests still pass.
To check that all tests will still pass for mpf-mc run
python3 -m unittest discover -s mpfmc.tests.
If you get an error message that Python was not found, try running the following command:
python -m unittest discover -s mpfmc.tests. This is the same basic command, but runs on python instead of python3.
Commit your changes (
git commit -a)
In the git commit screen type your title on line 1. Leave a blank line, and then type out a description of what is included in this commit. Once you are done typing your commit notes, press escape. This will bring your cursor to the bottom of this panel. From there type ('':wq'') and press Enter. This will complete your commit notes.
Push your changes to your github (
git push origin your_feature_name).
Open up your Fork on github and create and submit your pull request to merge from your local back to MPF.
We recommend you to use a decent IDE because it makes life easier. Most of the MPF developers use PyCharm but other IDEs will work as well.
Getting started with an open issue
We maintain a list of issues which are self-contained and good to solve on their own without too much interaction with core code. We label those as help wanted (although they do not have to be easy, just self-contained). If you want to work on one of them (or any other issue) comment on the issue or write in the forum and we will assist you along the way.
Something missing or wrong? You can fix it!
This website is edited by people like you! Is something wrong or missing? Is something out of date, or can you explain it better?
Please help us! You can fix it yourself and be an official "open source" contributor!
It's easy! See our Beginner's guide to editing the docs.
Page navigation via the keyboard: < >
You can navigate this site via the keyboard. There are two modes:
General navigation, when search is not focused:
- F , S , / : open search dialog
- P , , : go to previous page
- N , . : go to next page
While using the search function:
- Down , Up : select next / previous result
- Esc , Tab : close search
- Enter : go to highlighted page in the results